I had posted earlier that I was working on a fabric challenge for Angela Walters, and now you can, too, with the Make It Right Challenge (hurry, there’s a giveaway for the fabric on her blog!)
Well, today I finished up my project. It’s a version of the free kimono robe pattern by Susan Terpin over on Connecting Threads. I made my version knee-length, though, and switched a few other details, which I will tell you about. Anyway, here is the finished project:
The solid fabric is Cozumel from Art Gallery and the panel is Angela’s Right Angles from the Textures line.
Now, y’all know I am not a garment sewer, but a quilter. I had originally thought of making a quilt (and still might… I’ll show you why in a bit) To make the long collar, I cut strips 1 1/2″ and sewed with a 1/4″ seam to make the fabric panel for the shawl collar. I sewed these together at random, to make it look like it was improvisationally pieced of lots of little units. I LOVE how it turned out.
But, I think I like how the sleeve turned out even more, since I cut 1″ strips and sewed them together with a 1/4″ seam for a finished 1/2″ width. I think the look is even more “improvy” (but then, we all know I’m a sucker for very narrow sashes in my quilting, which, thanks to paper-piecing, the sashing is slightly smaller than 1/2″ on that quilt. swoon.). Here’s a pic of the unfinished sleeve panel laid out next to the collar unit. You can see the difference I think. You can also see that I used a birdseye cotton (super absorbent for after showers!) for the inner lining.
And now, in my heart of hearts, this is what I would like to do next: a quilt with the solids, using a 1/2″ sashing strip between the blocks of color. This may have to happen, and I think you can see why:
GO and make something! I wanna see! Not to mention, Art Gallery is having a huge contest for it and the deadline is June 6.
Spark a conversation!